Welcome!

This little blog started on our wedding website, which kept family and friends up to date on the planning and details. Of course this is where we will provide all of the recaps of the wedding and everything after. We look forward to keeping family and friends up to date on our lives here in Texas and all of the adventures we share as newlyweds!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mrs. Blanco

I am working to get some more things checked off of my 2010 To Do List. Friday I visited the dreaded Social Security Office! And while everyone kept telling me changing my name would be so time consuming for some reason I thought maybe I would be the person to get it done quickly....boy was I wrong!

My Friday started off like any other day at work (though I did receive 2 awards! Most Improved (sales based) and MVP for the office (voted on by the office)...a nice surprise and great start to a Friday) Sorry for the poor photo--gotta love cell phone cameras
....following lunch however things got annoying.

I arrived at the social security office at 12:45, clicked on the appropriate 'reason for visit' box and took my number and waiting for it to be called....and waited....and waited....

Finally after 3 and a half hours, my number appeared on the little lighted board and I proceeded to the counter. Handed the lady the form I had completed via Miss Now Mrs. (an online name changing service-which allowed me to have all of the forms I needed in one place!)

The woman took the form and proceeded to type in the information-though I must say I was a bit concerned because she did not ask for any ID verification, or my current social security card for verification!! It was not until I asked her what to do with my current social security card that she said "Oh yea, that won't be valid any more so just give that to me".

So quick and painless right? Oh I could have only hoped. She handed me a piece of paper which was my receipt--I started to walk out the door and looked down and realize she had typed my last name WRONG--BlancE not BlancO....so back I went--thankfully I sort of bullied my way back to an open window and said I needed them to fix it....they woman helping me was not too happy but I showed her the exact form I provided and I think she realized that the mistake was not mine and helped out.

So after about 4 hours I officially walked out the door as Mrs. Megan Blanco!!

Or at least I was in the eyes of the government. I had to wait at least 24 hours before I could change my name with the DMV. So Saturday and Sunday were spent completing all of the notification letters to credit card companies, bank, student loans, frequent flyer accounts, memberships ect...and yesterday a half day spent at the DMV for my new license (to be received in 2-8 weeks!). But there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

As of Today January 20th 2010--I am now officially Megan Blanco!

My advice to future MRS....definitely look into Miss Now Mrs. It made things really easy to keep everything together and lots of form fill capabilities to help out with getting everything put together quick and easy....now it's just a waiting game to get everything in the mail....


No comments:

Post a Comment