Welcome!

This little blog started on our wedding website, which kept family and friends up to date on the planning and details. Of course this is where we will provide all of the recaps of the wedding and everything after. We look forward to keeping family and friends up to date on our lives here in Texas and all of the adventures we share as newlyweds!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Time to knock something off the bucket list?

For the past 9 years I have been involved with Susan G. Komen.


Either through my sorority Zeta Tau Alpha or through the personal impact that breast cancer has had on family and friends I have been as involved as I could be with my schedule.

Each year of the past 9 I have participated in the Race for the Cure in one way or another and I plan to continue that for many more years to come!

When Rene and I were actually trying to figure out where we wanted to live while he was still in grad school Dallas was at the top of my list because the national headquarters for Komen is right here in Dallas and if I could leave my job today and work at the office I would. Oddly enough the office building that we moved to in May 2011 is right next to the building that the Komen office is in....so if I ever did get a job there the drive would be pretty simple!

Since I have yet to land that job however Rene and I like to stay involved still. Most recently this year we volunteered our time at a youth track event to pass out information about breast cancer and raise awareness, it's always amazing to see how many people recognize the pink ribbon which symbolizes breast cancer and how many people have been effected by it....

One of the things that I have kept saying that I want to do ever since we moved to Dallas was participate in the Dallas 3 Day. The 3 day is a 60 mile walk spread over 3 days that are done in a number of cities each year. I have been telling Rene the past 3 years "we need to do it!".

The first year that we were here and settled into the apartment and live was 2009, but the dates for the 3 day fell the weekend of November 6-8th...for those of you that remember we were in Florida for the wedding, so this was a no go. Somehow the walk in 2010 came and went and there were so many things going on we completely forgot. 2011's race is this November 4-6th so it hasn't happened yet but we clearly haven't trained to the point that my feet could take 15-22 miles of walking a day nor have we been able to raise the money to participate.

So today when the email hit my inbox noting that the 2012 3 Day in Dallas was starting to take registration I started to seriously consider participating. The dates for next year are Nov 2-4th....it gives us a full year to raise the almost $5000 (combined, $2300 each) to participate and get our minds and bodies ready to complete the walk.

Oh course as I am thinking of all of this and planning how to raise the donations Rene is in Arizona for work so no definite decisions will be made...but for some reason I feel like 2012 is our year to knock this item off my must do bucket list!!

Think I am crazy for wanting to walk 60 miles in 3 days and sleep in a tent each night as one of the must do things for my life?? Why wouldn't I want to?? I can give you plenty of reasons why I should and so should you....

Because you know someone who is fighting breast cancer.

Because you know someone who lost their fight.

Because you have a daughter, a mother, a sister.

Because its time to put an end to this disease.

Because everyone deserves a lifetime.

If you are interested in seeing if there is a Komen 3 Day near you check out the website and Register Today!

2 comments:

  1. so exciting Megan! I really want to get back involved with Komen too - the 3 Day would be a great way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to as long as we can find the time to train for it! I know it sounds crazy but I've talked to a few different people who have friends or family that have done the walk and they can't finish it because of blisters and stuff they didn't even think about because their "feet weren't ready" LOL....I'll keep you posted on our progress! :)

    ReplyDelete