Welcome!

This little blog started on our wedding website, which kept family and friends up to date on the planning and details. Of course this is where we will provide all of the recaps of the wedding and everything after. We look forward to keeping family and friends up to date on our lives here in Texas and all of the adventures we share as newlyweds!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

You're a Fiddlehead!

I almost forgot to mention the new item I found at the grocery store last night! Now yes, our grocery store (for those back in Grove City) is not the typical Bi-lo.. :)
When Rene and I decided that we were going to switch and start eating mainly organic we moved our weekly shopping trips to Central Market (more or less a TX based Whole Foods)...so of course some of the things are a bit "different" from your basic veggies but I'm always interested to see what's there. Last night I found Fiddleheads.
I had seen these on a couple of shows on the FoodNetwork but never actually in the store so I felt the need to give them a try since fiddleheads are only in season for about 2-3 weeks at most.

More or less they are baby ostrich ferns before they actually uncoil and bloom. When they do start to uncoil they are actually poisonous so that's why the in season time is so short!

Rene of course wasn't too excited about the purchase and I don't know exactly how he feels about our these for dinner...
Apparently the taste is something of a nuttier version of asparagus and I figured that at $15 per pound they should be tasty!
Everything I have read says that you can serve them more or less as a side with a simple marinade to cook them. So this morning after my little job I took some balsamic vinegar, horseradish (extra hot), mustard, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil and mixed up a quick vinaigrette
So now we sit and give them the rest of the day to "cook" and see how they taste!



No comments:

Post a Comment