Welcome!

This little blog started on our wedding website, which kept family and friends up to date on the planning and details. Of course this is where we will provide all of the recaps of the wedding and everything after. We look forward to keeping family and friends up to date on our lives here in Texas and all of the adventures we share as newlyweds!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Time Saving Meal

Since I knew that Rene would be home late tonight I planned on using this afternoon to whip up a quick and easy make ahead meal for later this week. I knew that I would need a break between working on homework and I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone! 1. Get a break from homework and 2. Make dinner for Wednesday (the night I have my live lecture) so that I didn’t eat dinner at 10 at night! Win-win situation there!

So what’s on the menu?

Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos! Yum! I saw a similar recipe online for a cilantro pesto chicken with Asiago cheese but I decided cheese didn’t sound appealing to me so I added in some lime and make tacos instead!

Ingredients:

**Please note: this one is a big eyeball and taste type of recipe!**

1 lb chicken tenders (boneless and skinless) chopped up

1/4 cup chopped onion

2-3 cups of chopped fresh cilantro

2 Tablespoons of diced garlic

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

3 Tablespoons of lime juice (I used a little more to make it more limey)

1/4 cup chicken broth

Kosher salt

Prepare:

Combine all (except chicken and onion) in blender and blend into a saucy liquid

Taste and decide if you need more cilanto, lime or salt for your personal taste!

Pour sauce over the chicken* and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes

*use your judgment on this I had some extra and didn't want too much extra sauce on the chicken

While chicken in marinating add the chopped onion to a hot pan until semi-soft

Add in the chicken mixture and allow to simmer

As the chicken cooks and simmers the sauce will thicken.

To make ahead:

Once cooked transfer to a tupperwear container, or ziplock freezer bag. Allow to cool then toss in the freezer. When you are ready to make it allow to thaw and re-heat on the stove.

Or…eat it right away with flour tortillas, lettuce, and tomatoes and all the other taco toppings!

I’ll be having mine later this week, but I must say I snagged a “sample” piece of chicken and it’s pretty tasty!

Do you know what is even better? I have about a 1/3 cup of the sauce left over so I figure why not make cilantro lime rice for my dinner tonight – perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment